Nehemiah Tabernacle, Inc. truly is a worship community for all people that focuses on unifying straight, gay, lesbian, and transgendered individuals through fellowship and worship. This diverse congregation welcome everyone, regardless of their cultural or financial background.
On August 2, 2008, Brother David R. Milbourne, Deacon Jeffrey M. Dickerson and Elder Omar S. Galloway held a series of discussions with the intent of establishing a congregation in the city of Philadelphia, that will meet the needs of all people, particularly to the individuals of the LGT community.
On December 7, 2008, Elder Galloway opened his home, whom he shares with his life partner, Deacon Dickerson to host the Tabernacle's first official worship service, complete with Holy Communion and fellowship dinner.
The charter members of the Tabernacle are the following:
Elder Omar S. Galloway
Deacon Jeffrey M. Dickerson
Brother David R. Milbourne
Mother Doretha L. King
Sister Andrea L. Harrington
Brother Maurice L. Kelly
Brother Tyshown K. Kelly
On December 10, 2008, Pastor Galloway established the first ministry of the Tabernacle, the Community Services Ministry and appointed Mother King as its first director.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania granted active incorporation status to Nehemiah Tabernacle on January 7, 2009.
In November of 2009, Sister Harrington and Deacon Dickerson formed the first choir of this congregation, the Tabernacle Ensemble.
On December 6, 2009, the Tabernacle celebrated its 1st Church Anniversary at Hope Outreach Ministries United Church of Christ. During this anointed service; the pastor of Hope, Rev. Deborah Savage installed Elder Omar S. Galloway Pastor of the Tabernacle. Rev. Leroy Scott, Jr. Pastor Emeritus of Bryant Baptist Church gave a spirit-full Prayer of Installation. And the dynamic leader of Living Waters Deliverance Ministries, Pastor Nadine Barbour-Fields officiated this beautiful worship celebration.
Our church foundation is built on Philippians 1:27 states, "... that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;"
The purpose for which this congregation is formed to carry on activities and the general objectives to be the following:
1. To be a dynamic spiritual organism empowered by the Holy Spirit to share Christ with as many people as possible in our church, community
and throughout the world.
2. To engage in and promote, under the guidance and direction of the Almighty God, and full accordance with the laws of this church, the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the United States of America.
3. This church shall maintain and operate any property it so desires, for any religious purpose such as colleges, schools, libraries, day care centers,
hospitals and recreational facilities.
We are a community of believers that are called by the power of the Holy Ghost; to be a loving congregation to empower Christendom and the community at-large through biblical teachings, addressing the holistic needs of mankind and continue to provide a worship community for all people.
We envision for Nehemiah Tabernacle Inc. will embrace the following principals:
* Creating a welcoming and loving atmosphere for any person encounter with the ministries of this congregation.
* In promoting a loving family environment for parishioners along with developing positive relationships and excellent communication
* Encouraging parishioners and others to increase their interest and study of biblical precepts, furthermore stress the importance of
examining the Word of God at home with family and friends.
* Emphasizing in serving others, especially individuals who can not help themselves.
* To develop a strategy plan for the New Members' Ministry to help parishioners to be assimilate in the church structure, so that the new
members can utilize their gifts.